January 16, 2007

Election Time

I dread this event.We have local elections every 4 years(which,I suppose is a blessing) but OMG,it is horrible.One word to describe it(and anyone who has either lived in Japan or been in Japan during a general or local election will know this)....NOISY!

Japan is a noisy noisy country at the best of times with BGM playing everywhere possible,town announcements boomed out over a tanoy a few times every day,tanyoned chimes 4 times a day(here in the countryside they boom out at 5am,midday,5pm and 9pm for those unfortunates who don't have any way of telling the time and need to know when to get up,have lunch,finish work and go to bed...Hmmm),people in trucks driving around playing music and making announcements about what they have to sell(from ramen noodles to sun-shades to old motorbikes) etc etc etc.

But at election time we have 6 days of hell as everyone up for election drives round the town in vans and trucks with a little possy of supporters following,blaring out messages and "Vote for X,Blah blah blah".They use women to screech out the words to get that message across and woe betide you if you are caught outside or nearby when they pass.....the screecing will go up another decible of two as they "thank you" for your support.Yeah,right.The frenzy when someone actually waves back or acknowledges the passing convoy is just too painful to either hear or see.And all those in the election convoy wear matching jackets,(pink,bright green and yellow being this years favourites from what I have seen so far)bandanas around their heads and they all wear white gloves,all the better to wave with.

The election is this Sunday and today is the first day of the convoys as thank goodness,there is a certain date when they are allowed to shatter our peace.This year not only do we have the council seats up for grabs but also the town mayor for 16 years is being contested by a dreadful little man who is using money and bribery to get support.We have also been approached and told that we will be given a lovely piece of land to build a house,free of charge,if the contender wins the mayoral seat.They can keep it.I was also given some lovely home-made pickles by one of the present mayors supporters.But I kept them;-)

So,until the elctions are finished we will not be going anywhere on foot in case we get accosted by one of the 18 separate convoys and sorry,dog,you will only be walked when it is pitch black out.When driving around,eyes on the road because even eye-contact will produce a volley of screams and yells of gratitude from the candidates.Self-imposed house arrest.Sounds good.

And the irony of it all for me is that I can't vote in either the local or general elctions.But there is no doubt about who I would vote for.That would be the quietest of all the candidates.Someone,please pass me the paracetemol.


WARNING: Viewer discretion advised;-)

3 Comments:

Blogger Tigermama said...

LOL! Nice capture....you got the essence of those trucks perfectly. Especially when the woman`s voice starts up at the end there. I also really love when they park outside your apartment building and continue screaming.

5:03 pm  
Blogger marianne said...

Thanks TM.I was terrified that they would spot me and start getting hysterical so just stuck the camera close to the window and pressed the button!DH thinks its SO funny that I put it on my blog and is threatening to film some more whilst actually waving out of the window.OMG.I think the camera lense would shatter!!!

8:14 pm  
Blogger Vicky said...

That is hilarious!! Especially when they go across each other at the end. And the absolutely mad thing is that the exact same words are said up here in Hokkaido - God forbit that they should actuall inform you about their campaign!

When I drive past them and I am in a very bad mood I must confess I have stuck my hand on the horn of my car and gone by VERY slowly. After all, if they can pollute the town with their noise, so can I....

I also take great pleasure in asking them lots of questions when they come to the door, including asking them what they are willing to promise for me to vote for them. It is AMAZING that most of them don't know that foreigners are not allowed to vote, and I always tell them that with great relish at the end of their speech. Then I promise to vote for them if they agree to campaign to change that law. I have never seen the same one on my doorstep again.

4:37 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home