November 20, 2006

Moans and Groans

We have had a really rough 4 weeks here health-wise.Nothing serious but just one thing after another.Annie got a cold which Kenichi and I caught.As she got better,we got worse with the most annoying coughs.After 10 days or so of hacking away,we both decided one morning that enough was enough and took ourselves to see the doctor.We were both shocked to the core when the doctor said that we needed chest X-rays and blood tests as he suspected the start of pnuemonia of all things.Who'd have guessed it?The coughing was pretty bad but no pain at all...Anyway,we spent the morning having the said X-rays and blood tests and went home with a barrel load of medicine with warnings to keep quiet and not over-do it.

So,of course,the following day we were both back at work.STUPID!!!Kenichi's cough did start to clear up but over the weekend,mine got worse and I woke up on the Sunday morning with breathing difficulties.Back to the doctor and I was told that my childhood asthma had returned.So,I had 20 minutes inhaling some asthma medicine and when that didn't work,was put on an IV drip for a couple of hours.And that,thank god,worked.

So,Sunday was a quiet day for me and I felt much better.Kenichi took Annie to see the in-laws all afternoon.In the early eveing,they got back but Annie was not her usual chatty little self.And she refused her tea despite it being her favourite of natto and spinach(how gross can you get..).She joined me in bed and after rolling around for a few minutes,vomited everywhere.She kept being sick all through the night and poor mite was dry heaving after a while as she had brought everything up.The next morning I took her to see her doctor and realised that I was feeling pretty shitty as well.To cut a long story short,Annie was very badly dehyrated and a blood test showed that she had the nasty stomach flu that is around.In fact,the doctor was thinking about hospitalising her at one point.Whilst she was having her blood test,I went off and had more of the asthma treatment and as I was feeling so sick,it looked like I also had the beginings of the stomach flu.So,from midday until 4pm,Annie and I were both put on drips(Annie had 2 due to her dehydration) side by side.What a low-light that was!But after a few hours,we both felt much better.Annie in fact was feeling so much better that she started singing her little heart out to the amusement of everyone.

We had the next 2 days at home and Annie was fine.I wasn't so hot but had to go back to work on Thursday.I made it to the weekend and was finally starting to feel better on Saturday.But on Sunday morning woke up with tummy cramps and had diarrhoea all day.But thank goodness,I found some medicine that I hadn't needed earlier on this year for just the same thing.And this morning,I woke up feeling pretty good.No runs,cough much better and at last,I really do think that we are all going to be healthy again.

Jeez,what a boring old post.But seriously,never has the well known Japanese saying "Kenko Dai-ichi"(health is number one) meant so much to me!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tigermama said...

Oh how awful! How are you all doing now???

9:10 am  
Blogger Gina said...

I hope you all are getting back on the mend! It is awful to be sick isn't it? I'm totally better by the way, but phew was ours bad as well over here! : )

9:16 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home