November 22, 2006

For Eddie

One thing that I really hate about living so far away from my family is not being able to take part in special occasions.And on Saturday,I am missing another such occasion.My nephew,Edward,is being baptised.I missed his big brother Dominic's baptism in spectacular style just a few years ago; I was honoured to be asked by my big sister,Helen,and brother in law Robert,to be Dominic's Godmother.So the dates were set for the ceremony that would take place when I would be back in the UK.And then,BAM,I found out that I was pregnant with Annie.So,that trip to the UK was out and I missed the baptism of my only Godchild.

And now I am missing another big event yet again.For months I have been planning the gift that I wanted to send Eddie for this big day.And it took time because I wanted it to be good.I wanted to give him a name in Japanese kanji characters.Maybe I have been in Japan too long,but I really did take this seriously.And a couple of weeks ago,I found the perfect kanji name for him.And now,all I needed to do was to get a talented person to write it for me.So I asked a teacher I have know for years(and incidentally Kenichi was taught by 20 years ago) who writes the most beautiful calligraphy.And she was so happy to do it.But due to all our ill-helath,I was only able to go and pick it up from her yesterday.So,yet again,I miss the occasion.I feel so bad.

BUT,Eddie,let me tell you this,you have a little family here in Japan that loves you so much and can't wait to meet you.And you are,to us,our little "English Samurai".



PS The characters would usually read phoneticaly as "Ei Ji",but I took licence for them to become "Eddie".The first character means "English" or "British" and the second is "Samuari".Many names in Japan are now like this is the sense that a little give and take is needed...In fact Annie's offical kanji name would be prounounced as "A-nyu"(amongst other things)rather than "An-ni".

PPS This is on its way to you Helen!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jones Brood said...

Wowee - Eddie will be thrilled (well when he's a bit older!) I love the kanji - well chosen - is the "ei" bit also excellent? (Which works just as well...) So sis, how about a good one for Dominic then!!!!!!???? I bet that would be a bit of a nightmare. Many thanks and no worries about lateness - that is a great gift.
Hx

10:42 pm  
Blogger Trisha said...

It is so hard to be away from the ones that you love but I think that your gift was so kind, so unique. I am sure that they will know how much they mean to you just by the gift itself.

10:00 pm  
Blogger Gina said...

I think your family will be so thrilled with your thoughtful and wonderful gift! : )

And I agree, it really is hard being away from family on special occasions or holidays. It's hard. I often feel like I miss out on so much with my family. I mean I know they love me and I love them...it's just I miss being there too. So, I understand what you're saying...it's hard, really tough actually! btw, I hope you and the hubs and Annie are feeling better! : ) That cold/flu thing sweeping Japan is really totally strong this season! Whoever catches is, is gonna be sick for quite a while.

9:30 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home