August 26, 2006

September 1st :-(

I have had a great summer.No holiday, albeit ,and at work every day apart from weekends off plus a "bonus" day at home with a grouchy and snuffly-nosed Annie). But even going to work has its advantages .As schools in Japan don't close over summer(yep,the teachers come in and do club activities with the kids and extra study) but no classes as such.And I have been coasting along every day spending my time happily from 8am-3pm in casual clothes in a ACed staff room ,more often than not sipping green tea and gossiping away with my colleagues and eating ice-cream.And I get paid for it and get to keep nice and cool.Over the weekends,we have done all the summer things like swimming at the beach or river,hanging out with friends a lot,drinking lots of cold beer,having BBQs and fireworks,going to the odd festival and really having a ball.We have AC at home and hell,all the washing dries within minutes so even Annie's linen nappies are no trouble.

But then,this afternoon,waking up from a lovely afternoon nap with the AC and electric fan keeping us cool as we slumbered through the worst heat of the day,I had a really horrible thought. You see,on Septmeber 1st,term starts.And I will have to actually start working in the true sense of the word.And work means teaching.In classrooms.And they have no AC. With temperatures of 33-5C.And high humidity.And more often than not,no breeze . I leave the rest to your imagination.I ,in the meantime,am wimpering over the keyboard and trying to think that it could be worse somehow.Couldn't it???

1 Comments:

Blogger Sheri said...

I started back today. It's horrible, isn't it- the no AC thing. I just don't understand how they expect kids to learn anything.
Thinking of you in your sweltering classrooms...

9:33 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home