August 29, 2008

And Friday comes again.

Quite a week it has turned out to be.But as I am living in my own little self-centered bubble at the moment,busy for me is probably not a word that comes to mind for the normal beings amongst you;)

Highlights of my week were my friend M,who is also starting my job on Monday,coming over for a good girly gossipy chat.She just came back from a trip back to Canada so we hadn't met up for a few weeks.Somehow the hours just ticked past and it was afternoon before I looked at the clock.Then we had fun and games when the in-laws popped in early one evening to tell us all about the single girl in the next town who grows tomatoes with her brother .And they had just gone to check her out as potential wife material for my BIL.My MIL was so excited about the thought of her beloved youngest son settling down in married bliss to someone who would be the perfect partner as she likes farming,that she seemed to forget that the vital component in the equation ;her son's enthusiasm and willingness to be introduced to said girl.After a few hours of chit-chat my in-laws trotted off home to tell my BIL about their match-making plans.And my BIL didn't let me down and did exactly what I told Kenichi he would do; he hit the roof and refuses to have anything to do with the entire plot.Amazing that I,who have only known him for 15 years can predict how he will react to a tee while his own mother,who has known him for all of his 36 years,still has no idea what he is thinking.Food for thought Dear MIL!

Low lights of the week.Annie came down with a fever out of the blue and as some of you might know,when Annie gets a fever,we all worry rather a lot as she had a nasty time in hospital with lumbar punctures,CT scans and the works a couple of years back.And just dug up these photos of that episode.






Anyway,if she has other symptoms like a runny nose,cough etc we relax a bit.But have strict instructions from her paediatrician to bring her in if the fever gets high but nothing else seems wrong.Which is what happened mid-week.Her fever started going up to 38.5C in the evening and I dosed her with a UK over the counter fever reducer.Knocked her out for the night and her temperature lowered a wee bit.And she seemed fine in the morning and really wanted to go into daycare so despite having a low-medium grade fever,I took her in and her teacher said they would see how things went.The phone call came from said teacher at 9.30am to say that she was feverish again and off we went to see the doctor.Annie had a lovely time as ever with him and they adored each other for a good 20 minutes whilst I twiddled my thumbs and watched them flirting away.She was given some strong medication so off home we went.We had a rough day as her fever went up again to 39.5C and that night wasn't the best.But by yesterday morning,she seemed better although not well enough to go into daycare.

So,she was allowed to come with me for my weekly check-up at the gynaecologist's .How fun! Until I got in there and lay down and realised that my tummy was looking a funny shape.And this turned out to be because my sweet little baby has decided to go into breech again.Arghhhhhhhh!And we all thought she had settled down so well.Seems she is a smallish baby so still has room to move around.And move and wiggle and punch she does.No more twinges down "there" as her head is now back to butting me in the ribcage.I was given some very interesting and bloody painful exercises to do twice a day for 10 minutes and will be back for another scan and check on Monday.As I only have 3 weeks until my due date,we are all hoping and praying that the babe will go down and stay down.Or at least deign to come out bum first so I can try for a a natural birth.Here the C-sections are still rather drastic and they still make a big old butchers-type vertical incision rather than the horizontal bikini line types.And because of this,you have to stay in hospital for 2 weeks,which is I suppose very sensible as it is major surgery.But the thought of being away from Annie and home for 2 weeks just ain't nice. So that is why us Japan-based gals do get overly antsy at the thought of C-sections.

And back to today(Friday).Annie is back at daycare,Kenichi is at work after a night out with the lads and only coming in after 1pm ,which seems so early compared to the nights out of youth but at 37,he is feeling it.Ha!In a few minutes,my friend M is coming round again for a cuppa then I am out to lunch .

We have been having some pretty busy weekends and this weekend is the same as we are going out and about and seeing friends and doing things that I will not be able to do so easily once the baby is here.


And that's that.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lulu said...

Spin baby spin!
Hope she turns around ok!

I was`t reading your blog back when Annie had the fever and hospital stay but how scary! Glad to hear this fever has gone down!

Take care

7:24 pm  
Blogger M said...

I am sooo enjoying the fact that you are blogging again but it is making me miss you guys. Can't wait for you to be over in the UK for a bit.

Glad Annie is feeling better. Am sending "spin baby spin" to baby Murasaki right now.. ;-) LOL!

10:06 pm  
Blogger Sheri said...

Hope she's feeling better and that your baby turns around soon!!!
I found out about 3 days before he was born that ds was breech-in Canada they don't do as many scans as here. Good that you are prepared, at least. :)

10:34 pm  
Blogger marianne said...

Thanks for your spinning vibes:)

Now Sunday morning,and still no change so will go along tomorrow and see what we can do.Stubborn little madame this one is;)Still got the yoga exercises to try out...!

Lulu,thanks! Annie is now back to "normal" and whizzing around all day although as I write still asleep and it's after 7am.Miracle;)

Sheri,what happened with H in the end?Did you have a C-section or did he turn downwards?You must have had quite a shock and yes,TG we have all these scans here,regardless of cost!

And Midori,I am so so looking forward to seeing you and J and everytime I mention London,Annie asks when we will be going up (by train!) to meet you guys...Hurray up new year!!

7:33 am  
Blogger Jones Brood said...

Poor Annie, do hope she is better now.

Breech tips from across the ponds: Lie so your pelvic area is higher than your head and get some frozen peas or Japanese equivalent and wrap them in a tea towel and place by baby's head region - it becomes uncomfortable so they shuttle down. Some people played music (ie put earphones) around the pelvic region to coax their little ones down.

All I can say is if you have an acupuncturist near, it may be well worth your while visiting. The moxibustion burns (you don't get burnt!) on my little toes worked wonders and in 80% or more of cases it really does work. Doesn't hurt, it's quick and you can do it at home although a bit fiddly.

Good luck!
Hx
PS Some of my auntie friends had transverse babies until literally the 11th hour. Eeek.

5:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll join in with the "spin, baby spin" vibes. At least things have cooled down a bit, so these last couple of weeks should be a bit easier.
Glad Annie is better.
AnneMarie, Kumamoto

8:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is all around cute, including the cast!

9:10 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home