December 10, 2008

In Limbo

I am in that strange "in between countries" state many of you who live in a foreign country probably know well.On Monday,I will be going to the UK for nearly 3 months with the girls.There are still things to be done,bags to be packed etc and I have a mental checklist of everything I want to get done before the weekend.

Transcending cultures is such an odd experience; after 16 years of life in Japan,so much here is now the norm so when I leave it all behind,I feel some sense of loss,angst and even regret.However,the familiarity of my childhood home awaits which is exciting and I feel so very comfortable back in the UK .

Hopping from one culture and one language to another isn't easy.And I find that this "in between"time seems to be one of self preservation; physically I am still in Japan but mentally,I am already in England.It is a strange feeling and hard to explain but I find that I can only really relax now if I am thinking about the upcoming trip and getting ready for it in some way or another.Once the final suitcase is packed,I will be able to sit down and just focus on the flight and look forward to everything that awaits us.And try to ignore that horrible feeling I get when I think about being away (and taking the girls away from) Kenichi for so long.

3 Comments:

Blogger Perogyo said...

I know it's hard to leave your lovely husband behind for a time, but just think how helpful he'll be around the house when you get back after months of doing it all himself and missing you. ;) I like seeing my husband again after a break.

12:19 pm  
Blogger Sara said...

I've only been here a mere 3 or so years so far so I can't imagine the acclamation you've had... but I still feel the mix of familiarity and uncomfortability when at home. Its home... but its not. Very hard to explain.

I'm looking forward to going with Ryohei for the first time in March and then hopefully going with me and the baby for a month or so at Christmas next year. (Christmas and the holidays are a big thing that I miss about home and feel very happy being there for them)

Hope you have a safe flight and look forward to reading blogs from the UK if you find the time to post!!

1:24 pm  
Blogger Gina said...

Ditto what the ladies said up above as well. I like when I come back to Japan after being gone for so long too, especially the seeing my husband part! : )

Have a lovely time back in the UK Marianne!!! : )

1:35 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home